We materialized at about the same time on a hill. "Where are we?"
"Right here." he gestured at the British soldiers ascending the hill. They started firing at us. "Get down!" I yelled, and we ducked into some bushes. "What do you think this is," I asked angrily, "some kind of joke? We could've been blown to bits."
"Still might, actually." the mad scientist pointed out, pulling out his hand gun. I reluctantly did the same. Shots were fired from both sides, but they seemed to have forgotten about us. We were soon surrounded by advancing British soldiers. "Now or never, err, now or in a little while." Einstein muttered, getting to his feet and shooting randomly at the soldiers, hitting a few, but mostly missing. Then a soldier noticed us while the mad scientist's back was turned, and I had no choice but to shoot. Einstein turned to see what I'd done, "it's hard, attempting to end human life." the scientist said, "but look at the bright side! You just aided in the Revolutionary war, even though you only shot the guy's arm." We retreated up the hill as the British were forced down. The image of what I had just done distubed men and then I saw Oleck.
"I thought you left the fight before it started!" Oleck said, reloading the rifle he had just fired.
"I thought you left the fight before it started!" Oleck said, reloading the rifle he had just fired.
"This is a younger me." I guessed at what he was referring to. The mad scientist was gone. "How are you doing here?"
"Killed five." he looked back up the hill, "oh no, a couple of them have snuck threw a hole in the defenses." we ran up the hill, I with much effort, and went into the fort. "There they are!" I pointed at five soldiers. The soldiers ran into a corridor, and we followed.
"Wait," I said to Oleck, "you can't go in there. There's five of them, and only two of us."
"I can't think of that right now. They're going after General Ward. if they find him, they'll..." his voice trailed off as we began pursuit again. I reloaded the pistol I was holding as we ran. Oleck grabbed at a pile of gunpowder packets. "Do you have that butane lighter yet?"
"No," I shook my head, wondering what he was talking about.
"No," I shook my head, wondering what he was talking about.
"That's fine." he pulled a few bullets out of his pocket. "There they are!" We had managed to cut them off, since he knew where General Ward was. He struck a match on the side of the wall (remember, this was long before the kind of matches that only light when struck on the box). We hid behind the corner as he set up the pile of gunpowder and ammunition. He dropped the match on the pile and we heard what sounded exactly like gunshots. The British troups appeared from behind the corner but, hearing what would have been the equivalent of fifteen soldiers firing, dropped to the ground in panic. "Nobody move," Oleck pointed his rifle, and I, my handgun. I felt the sucking from the time machine.
"I got to go." I said, "good job, I'm very impressed."
"A lot better than last night, if you remember that."
"It only happened six days ago."
He laughed, still eying his British captives, "see you again some time."
He's quite heroic, that Oleck guy. I mean, he's single-handedly done a lot for the Revolution, and that's just from the few days I've been around him.
2 comments:
Good story
Thank you.
Feel free to comment about it as often as you like (though I may not always be able to approve the comments, because they might ruin the story)
Post a Comment