The circumstances represented on this website are fictional and intended for entertainment purposes only.

August 20, 2009

A Bitter goodbye

My time machine turned back on exactly when it was supposed to. I smiled sadly at Oleck, "I don't know how to say this."
"You have to leave. Go back to your own time."
I nodded slowly.
"You'll be back." he assured me.
"No, I won't."
"But you have to come back."
"I can't-,"
"You've helped me every time I needed it. I can't see how I would survive without your being here. I can't fight the world alone."
I nodded, "I know what you mean, but,"
"You don't have a choice." he finished my sentence.
"the wormhole closes in less than a day."
"Will I see you again? An older you?"
I began to shake my head, then stopped, "yes, but," I began to regret even telling him, "but don't look forward to it. I won't even know who you are. It'll be the first time we meet." It almost makes it sadder.
We both stood standing there, without a word between us.
I punched in today's coordinates, "I hate goodbyes." I wondered how I could get myself to press the button.
"Well," he said sadly, "see you again, Gregory." and he reached down and pressed the button for me. I slowly dematerialized, slower than usual, it seemed, and watched as he waved, and then strode off. Darkness closed in on me, as the end of our friendship had. And that's the last time I'll ever see Oleck Smart, a heroic fighter, an excellent ally, and an even better friend.

No comments: