"What do you mean?"
"Well, I landed approximately two feet too low," and he pointed to a round, crater-like hole in the ground. He opened my watch, which, by the way, displays the date, time, and year, and tweaked it.
"You mean you made a mistake?"
"Yes, well, it's not an exact science. Or, I suppose it is, but it isn't a science I've done a lot of studying on, exactly." He courteously helped me to my feet.
I looked down at my watch: June 18th, 1740.
"That's as far back as we can go, 1740." he said, then he paused, waiting for a compliment, I suppose. Then he realized that I wasn't supposed to be here, "I told you not to interfere with my plans!" he yelled, though not necessarily in an angry way.
I, however, filled with dread, realizing what the punishment was for disobeying that command.
But then his face brightened, "On the contrary, you could be quite useful, yes, quite useful, if only for my own personal entertainment, but also for science. I have a certain number of goals, a to-do list, so to speak, and I am afraid, alone, that I can not complete this list."
"Wait, what stops me right now from demanding that you take me to Ben? After all, I'm much stronger than you." I asked, indignant.
"Well, there's the fact that I'm holding a gun, the fact that you will probably not be able to make me take you to Ben, the fact that I could lie to you and tell you I was going toward Ben, when I was really just deserting you, and the fact that I have the power to send you anywhere in the time range without myself going, hence, dropping you from 100 feet in the air, or 10 miles under water, or even on the moon is well within my capacity."
"You can send me places?"
"I plan to. Other times, I'll just drag you to wherever I am, and you'll have to finish your task before I finish mine. Yes, yes, the more I think about it, the more I like this idea. And of course, if you fail even once, you will never see Ben ever again."
"OK, what do you want me to do first?"
"You can send me places?"
"I plan to. Other times, I'll just drag you to wherever I am, and you'll have to finish your task before I finish mine. Yes, yes, the more I think about it, the more I like this idea. And of course, if you fail even once, you will never see Ben ever again."
"OK, what do you want me to do first?"
"No, no, no," he chuckled, "I can't just send you off wildly when you're two hundred sixty-nine years in the past! You might mess something up! Why, why, a mere footstep in the wrong place could destroy life as we know it in the future! Think of it! That's why I'm way out here in the middle of the wilderness. I must test some of the basic theories of time-travel before I even dare come contact a human being. And I'll explain some of the rules to you. But first,we must go some distance away, this location is a bit too far from civilization. But I still need to rest for a few minutes, so why don't you write down what happened just now on that fantastic blog of yours. After all, you could be my documenter as well as my guinea pig!"
So I wrote this. I'm a little worried about what he might want me to do, or if I'll ever get back into our normal time again, but I'm mostly just anxious to start doing what he wants me to do so I can get Ben back. I can't believe how careless that evil scientist is with human life. Ben is a human being, and he doesn't seem to care. I am really beginning to dislike this man. But for now, I just have to get Ben back. That is my one and only concern.
Vanderdecken12
No comments:
Post a Comment