The circumstances represented on this website are fictional and intended for entertainment purposes only.

June 22, 2009

Early Morning, 1775

The hazy thing happened again early in the morning yesterday, and I saw the mad scientist below me, staring down at another crater in the ground, and then up at me. The haze went away, and I fell, but this time I didn't scream, and I was lucky enough to land on some bushes. "I never can get this right, although, I suppose, it is only my second try. There is hope for me yet! I was also incorrect on time, I was sure that travelling here would only take a couple seconds. Instead, all night! Perhaps I miscalculated, or could it be, a random variable?" and he tinkered with his watch again, "make sure you remember this. Your blog is my only form of journalization."
I nodded, wondering what could be so important about falling from ten feet in the air, and things taking longer than usual. He must have noticed my incomprehension, for he said, "I meant what's about to happen. This all will be quite interesting," he mused, "what time is it?"
"About 4:50 AM, April 19th, 1775. May I please ask where we are?"
"Sure," and there was silence for about a minute.
"Where are we?"
"Oh, times up. You didn't ask soon enough! Haha, I joke. We are in Middlesex, Massachusetts."
That name rang a bell, "we're in Lexington."
"Yes," he nodded rapidly in approval.
"What are we doing here?"
"You know what happened at Lexington, do you not?"
"The start of the Revolutionary war!"
"Very good. You remember what started it?" he prodded, as if to a 2-year old.
I pulled my mind back to history class, "The...shot heard around the world."
"Good! The shot heard around the world." he affirmed, as if glad that I, out of all the other students present (of course, there were none) was the one to get it right, "The shot heard around the world was the first shot of the Revolutionary war. Nobody knows who shot it. It has remained one of history's biggest mysteries. You know why nobody knows who fired the first shot?"
"No," though I could probably have guessed.
"Because the person who fired it was a time-traveler; myself, to be more specific. Now, according to Novikov's self-consistency principle, what I'm about to do is very possible. However, I'm very hesitant to believe Novikov was right anyway." We were still behind the bushes, and I then took the time to look out beyond. There, sure enough, were two lines of soldiers, one well armed, standing rigid, all dressed in red, the other, rag tag, some not even holding guns, and far outnumbered.
"The start of the Revolutionary war," I shook my head in wonder.
"Yes, who woulda thunk? The mysterious shot heard around the world, fired by an automatic handgun." he held up his watch, "4:59," he said, and taking out his gun, "gun ready," he checked the trigger, the bullets, the barrel, "check," and the watch ticked to 5 AM. He lifted the gun above his head, put his finger on the trigger, and a shot rang out. He brought his gun down, stared at it, check the bullet-count, looked at his trigger finger, and shook his head, "I didn't shoot." We turned to see the British soldiers firing and advancing on the Americans, some of the Americans firing back, but most scattering, "I didn't shoot!" he said again, staring at the firing soldiers in bewilderment.
"You there!" a British soldier called out, just feet away, "did you fire that shot?"
"No, unfortunately not." Ludwig muttered in reply, still staring at his gun.
"You're under arrest."
"Oh," Einstein came back to reality, "I suppose we'd better run." and we managed to barely evade the red coat's shot. But he continued to follow us. We ducked into the woods, but ran straight into a wall. Trapped. The Brit approached.
"We got to get out of here. Anywhere but here," I said, and the mad scientist, agreeing, punched numbers randomly into his watch, but the soldier attacked, bayonet in hand. I barely dodged the piercing blow, and Ludwig hit "enter" as the soldier landed on top of me. And we were off, back into empty space, but this time, I had company. The British soldier looked around in amazement at the darkness which had just come over us. I, being used to it by now, and quite annoyed by it, used this time to grab my laptop and swing it at his head, rendering him unconscious, and leaving a good dent in the corner of my monitor. And so we are, an unconscious British soldier and I, floating to a randomly-entered time in space. All I know is that we are going back, because that heavy feeling is here. It should be about 1 AM now, or at least that is what the laptop says. Either the mad scientist's calculations for time needed to travel through time were way off, or we are going somewhere far, far away from where we were before.

No comments: