The circumstances represented on this website are fictional and intended for entertainment purposes only.

November 13, 2009

The drive

So, the endless conversation between Oleck and Vanderdecken12 raged on as Aleck drove and I sat in the back trying all sorts of various ways to hack into the Chinese security system. Still no luck. If you want to hear the gist of their conversation, here is the extremely edited version...

Vanderdecken2 explained how we needed to stop the bomb and that he was invincible (yeah, that took about forever to convince him of) and then asked how long Oleck had been traveling.
"Well, I must admit," the 54 year old said, "I was a bit anxious about meeting you. I wanted to get to know the 21st century a bit, so I bounced around for a few years. I got as late as 2075 once. I must say, I believe I know more about electronics than you," he pointed back to me, "no offense."
I was, I admit, practically drooling at the thought of seeing what computers would be like in 60 years, "none taken." I muttered.
"Do you think you could identify a bomb by it's explosion?" Vander asked him.
"I suppose I could." he nodded. It was Aleck's turn to be jealous.
"Ben, could you hack into the government satellite video folder and get that explosion vid?"
"Sure," I said sarcastically, "I'll just have to reroute a couple hundred zombie PCs to create a diversion, which will take a couple hours, then I'll have to hack into a subsurver to extract the codes, which will take another hour, then I'll just have to download it from a triple-encrypted source, which could take as long as a week."
"This is 2010, right?" Oleck asked.
"No, '09." VD12 corrected.
"Perfect," he looked at me, "just try to enter the third server in the 401-system."
"With what ID?" I looked at him from the corner of my eye, starting to do as he said.
"Username: username. Password: password."
"You're kidding."
"No, it caused in the biggest security breach in history in 2011, and resulted in a huge government cover-up that wasn't revealed until 2042."
"I'm in!" I said in disbelief.
"You don't happen to know anything about weaknesses in the Chinese government security system, do you?" Vander asked hopefully.
"No, why?"
And then he told him why.
After that, I played the bomb clip for him, and he knew instantly what it was, "Oh, it's an experimental anti-matter bomb. The first of it's kind. I can tell because they still needed to use nuclear elements to get it to work; a problem they were still trying to solve after I left in 2075."
"Did you ever get past 2075?" VD12 asked.
"No, it was almost like there was a barrier stopping me. It's quite possible the culprits will use a bomb from the '70s. So what's the plan?"
"Well..." Vanderdecken considered, "we should probably go to the future and try to stop Bob from getting the bomb in the first place."
"Oh, about that." Oleck said.
"What?" you could see VD12's face drop.
I could tell Oleck was about to say something-something bad-but then he stopped and said something else, "My time machine is only capable of taking one person. The range isn't big enough for even two."
"That could be a problem." said VD12, who didn't notice that Oleck had avoided saying...something.
"And I doubt I can take down a team of Bob's men."
"Vanderdecken could." I said.
"Yes, but I rigged my machine to be responsive only to myself. It would take too long to change." he said it as if we were providing an excuse.
"Then what's your plan?" I asked haughtily.
He looked at me like I was the plague, "if I can find them, I can calculate where they will come back."
"That would be good enough." Vanderdecken nodded.
"Yes, but since time is connected, I doubt you will be seeing me for a few days."
"That might be too late." I was still on the offensive.
"I'll send something back to you." he shot back. We stared at each other. I, trying to call his bluff. He, well, how am I supposed to know?
"What do you mean, exactly?" Vander unassumingly broke undetected the tension.
"I have to come back the amount of time I spend elsewhere. This is since I programmed right now as my "home', to save energy. Otherwise, the machine will always be wearing down. However, I am capable of sending small items, such as a note, back to whenever I want."
That satisfied Vanderedecken, and so I went back to my hacking, and they, to their conversation.
And it's been settled that he's going to leave on Sunday. I just don't trust this guy. My gut says something's wrong. And yet, VD12 would trust him with his life...

1 comment:

Ben Simmons said...

ops, I accidentally put 34. He's actually 54, or at least that's what he said he is. Anyway, I changed it now, just wanted to make sure you all knew.