Vanderdecken12 was in deep thought when I and my grandma got to his house this morning to pick him up for Christmas shopping. He was sitting in a chair, hands folded, staring intently at a small place on the rug. "The rest of my life." he said to himself.
I opened my mouth to speak, but then stopped.
He held in his hands Oleck's pocketwatch.
"Wow!" my grandmother said, "that looks like an antique pocketwatch. Almost as old as me! Where'd you get it?"
Vanderdecken looked up, startled, "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you walk in." then her question registered, "I, I got it from an old friend of mine."
I choked up, but then I noticed the phone lying on his coffee table. It clicked, "you got a call from the doctor, didn't you?" I asked.
He stared at me, a pleading look in his eyes.
What'd they say?"
He shook his head.
"Vanderdecken, I want to know."
"They told me how long I have."
I waited. But he wasn't going to tell me when.
"How do you want to spend it?"
"Christmas shopping with friends. You ready?"
I nodded. He got his coat. And we got in the car.
"Why do you call him Vanderdecken12?" my grandmother asked.
I paused for a moment, "what?"
"Why do you call him Vanderdecken12? Why don't you use "------", his really name?" (censor added)
"Oh, that's his under cover name." I stammered. It'd been months since I'd heard him called by his real name. So strange to be home.