Peter here,
Our first few days were just about adapting to our new lifestyle. You know, the schedule. Get your food, go back to your room, get some exercise, watch their Cable TV, etc. I explained to Ben why I (correctly) thought that the guy would answer the door when I yelled his name. I had two theories. Either:
1)Ben becomes the leader of the resistance at an earlier time, thus becoming well known. (not very likely now that we're in prison without a time machine)
2) Or, more likely, Vanderdecken was on the lookout for us.
So those were my theories, and one of them was confirmed. I logged onto Ben's computer yesterday, but it didn't do me much good. Even before the prison puts on the filter, the internet itself is amazingly filtered (which Ben is trying to bypass using his computer skills). You can basically only look up things the government has already approved. I did find two things of interesting, though. The first is a very interesting piece of news. Imagine you're invincible, and you have to control the entire world. You can only do it because you're invincible (otherwise you'd get assassinated eventually), so nobody else can help. Now imagine you have a way of making more invincible minions. Yeah, not good. Gregory (as he's exclusively calling himself), decided a couple years back to share his responsibilities with ten of his most trusted appointees. So now there's 11 invincible people roaming about.
The second is a list of acts passed over the last 10 years. 400,000 of them. Most by Gregory, but lots by delegated rule makers. Oddly enough, he highlights each act by 'regulatory' or 'deregulatory'. And colors them red and green. It was amazing as I scrolled down, watching an infinite sea of red, with a scattered green for the first 4 years, and then just red, all the way until 2025, at which point one green, standing all alone in the red, stood out. I looked at it for a moment, pondering its significance, and then I clicked it. It was a simple act. Way simpler than anything I've ever seen come out of Congress. And it overturned an act Gregory had enacted three years into his dictatorship; he 'made music legal again'.
July 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment