When Einstein and I went to the hotel to pick up our belongings, we were in for a surprise. Right after I saved yesterday's post, four police officers burst through the doors. Unarmed, we gave in. They confiscated my laptop, but Einstein, being a genius, managed to hide his time machine. So, of course, we jumped right out, right? Well, we would have, except it's only big enough for one person. Ludwig was kind enough to stay there with me, especially since he didn't want to risk somebody finding out about his machine anyway. He must remember back to when he planned on making me his apprentice, because he has insisted on explaining time travel more. I, having essentially just killed Oleck, didn't object,
"Now you may be wondering about the future." he continued, "and one of the very interesting paradoxes is that of items - or more specifically information - coming from the future. And what's very interesting about this is that it is quite possible. For instance." he thought about an example for a while, and then began "like the bomb from the future. Bob could have brought it from the future, if he hadn't been afraid of it exploding, and indeed, he brought parts from the future. And furthermore, the anti-matter bomb isn't even remotely invented until 2040. So what this means, is that there is no restriction on bringing things from the future. However, this has interesting implications because..." he waited for me to fill in the blanks.
I answered reluctantly, "because then information can come to exist with no actual origin."
"Precisely," he smiled fondly, "but this is where the fabulous Novikov comes in to save the day. You can't send anything back that would cause the information to not be created in a different way. Do you understand?"
I nodded.
"Well in case it isn't completely clear to you, what this means is that the information will be created another way, it just exists without that creation earlier. Can you think of an interesting implication of this?"
"You should avoid exposure of what you bring back to those who may invent it?"
"Precisely. That was what I found so intriguing. This fact is the only reason the US government hasn't gone completely bankrupt."
That made my ears perk.
"It's true. The Feds have known how to time travel ever since somebody from the past accidentally left some instructions on how to make a machine for a Manhattan Project scientist in 1942. The government's been using future technology for years."
"Of course!" I cried.
"Quiet down." he whispered as a guard walked in, "but this does explain a lot. All those loony conspiracy theorists were on the right track. The government has been hiding something big for decades. Of course, this also means I have a huge stockpile in Area 51 of any technology I could ever need, that they don't even use anymore." The guard walked out, "in fact, I think I know something to cheer you up a bit. See you in the morning." And he hit speed dial for his time machine and didn't get back 'til morning, which I'll explain tomorrow.
First, the dream I had. It was one of those dream where you don't know you're asleep. I was still in my cell, quite uncomfortable, when Oleck Smart walked in, except a much younger Oleck Smart, "You're dead!" I cried, "I killed you!"
"No, it wasn't your fault."
"Then you're not really dead."
"Oh, I died on November 26, 2009. That's the truth."
"Then why are you here?"
"To bust you out of here."
"But if you're dead..."
"I'm not dead yet."
And then everything was quiet. Nothing different. Nothing changed. He's dead. I wish....I wish there was some way of undoing what was done. Try a different server. Use a different alias. I don't know. It just feels like I ought to be able to say, "no, don't be dead." It's the strangest thing. But I can't. It makes you feel so helpless.
No comments:
Post a Comment